Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Goldfinch; after Fabritius, 2002


One of my first large-picture art books had an image of a goldfinch tethered to a box on a wall. In this copy-cat version, I used an American Goldfinch and tried to tread the line between it being a female in summer or a male in winter. Also, this is anthropomorphized- I wanted to explore the idea of a person who felt safer being in a restrained position. The bird is actually wearing a pair of black shiny shorts.

I was very pleased with everything except the actual bird- especially the very oil-like effect I was able to create with my cheap acrylic paints. I do, however, like the wings.

5 comments:

  1. I love the bird and the box. I especially like the color combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great painting. Very delicate yet the shadow is ominous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you completely. I never knew about the shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Maggie
    Nice painting..I would love to see more of you...
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maggie,
    I've always loved this painting. The colors are very pleasing. I did miss the shorts!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete