Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Changes with Frames



I found an inexpensive place to buy them, so for the first time I have been able to see my paintings framed. They automatically add that "wow" factor, especially since the only available frames there are big and gold. It is very interesting to me to note my own reactions: my paintings immediately seem more worthy to me. Someone noted the difference it made in home decor: "we have a grown-up apartment now." When you go into a gallery, presentation plays a very big role in how the work is perceived. The Abstract Expressionists and Modernists rejected the frame for similar reasons. I respect these art movements for all that they stood for. Is this why I feel a little guilt along with the pleasure of having presented the work at its most palatable? After all, the concept of the work and the application of paint have nothing to do with the change that occurs upon framing.

3 comments:

  1. Very nice photos.

    I don't think that there should be any guilt associated with proper framing. If you were dealing in the milieux of abstract expressionism or modernism, perhaps it would be out of place. But neither your concepts nor your artistic articulation fall within those schools. To the contrary, your work is enhanced and protected by good, solid, luminous frames.

    After all, the frame is a practical invention to preserve the canvas and give parameters to the eye's focus and appreciation of the forms, light and colors that presented in the painting.

    I don't think Rembrandt felt any guilt for framing his masterworks, and neither should you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The frames are the perfect finishing touch; adds elegance and a professionial look! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your wonderful comments. Frames are very practical indeed, and as a practical person I am going to immediately stop feeling funny about them. I think.

    ReplyDelete