Tuesday, January 4, 2011

What am I up to now?

Bless the university holiday, I got rather far on a painting that was a recent inspiration. It was great starting a painting while the juices were flowing rather than either a) having to hold the thought while I work on another project or b) beginning once the magic and passion of the idea has dissipated.

I have been looking at a lot of William Blake images lately, and the colors at the bottom remind me of him, so I should point him out as an unconscious inspiration. I am learning about using a more simple palette and less variation in color intensity. I have known for awhile that my use of color needed to be tuned down and that color needs to relate to other color better on the canvas. (I apologize for my inability to verbalize this well, but I do not k now the right terms. Suggestions welcome, of course.) If my arts education had not stopped at the color wheel I would have figured this out a long time ago, but I feel things are moving in the right direction.

An interesting thing happened as this canvas evolved- the main character (and most of my paintings have a character) that I had chosen before starting the painting turned out to not be the best suited. This is very odd because my paintings usually occur in my mind as full narratives. This is the first time that the "background" suggested the character. Stay tuned to see who/ what it is. I am relieved that this change works well with my artistic values.

No comments:

Post a Comment